Francis Kodankandath is a self taught artist from Thrissur, Kerala, India. Inspired by his father Prof. K.P Antony, Francis studied at St. Clares and St.Thomas’ Schools, Nehru Arts School (Under Samuel Master) and Model High School (Under Krishnankutty Sir). Whilst studying at St. Thomas’ college, Francis was awarded at the Calicut University Youth Festival for Oil Painting. In 1986, 1989 and 1993, he received state Awards. In 1994, Francis was Selected for the National Exhibition of Art, and he won the National Award in 2003. In 2004, Francis was selected for the Trinnale and National Awardees Exhibition. He has held 54 Solo Exhibitions in India, Japan, Italy, France, England, America, Thailand & Dubai. He was awarded certificates of merit from UNFPO, Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai and National Academy of Customs, Delhi. His Painting style reminds us of Jigsaw Puzzle in European glass Painting. Currently he is working as Customs Intelligence Superintendent at Calicut International Airport. He detected smuggling cases valued at a total of 3556 Million and he has won 10 commendation certificates. In 2015, Francis also won the Xth Florence Biennale Medal, in Florence, Italy.
1. Xth Florence Biennale Medal 2015-Florence, Italy
2. National Award, Lalitkala Akademi, New Delhi - 2004
3. State Award, Kerala Lalitkala Akademi - 1993
4. HighlyCommended Certificate — Kerala Lalithakala Akademi -1986, 1990
5. Hon'ble Mention Certificate from Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai -2003
6. Certificate of Merit from Loka Manya Tilak National Exhibition of Art, Pune - 2003
7. Painting Selected for National Exhibition of Art, Lalitkala Akademi, New Delhi- 1994 and 2004
8. Selected for National Artists' Camp by Kerala Lalithakala Akademi - 2003
9. Nominated as Member —Kerala Lalithakala Akademi during - 1994 -1997
10. Certificate of Merit from UN Population Fund (UNFPO) and N.C.E.R.T Delhi - 1997
11. Painting selected as permanent exhibit by Newman Centre, University of New Orleans, U.S.A - 2000
12. Skyscapes- series of paintings (40 Nos) done on broad in flight Indian Airlines - 2000-2001
13 Painting selected by 'Readers' Digest' Magazine as cover - 2001
14. Kaladarpanam Award - 2001
15. Invited by National Gallery of Modern Art for 'Picasso Metamorphoses 1900-1972' at Mumbai - 2002
16. Paintings presented to HH Pope John Paul II by Rt. Rev. Dr. Paul Chittilappilly, Bishop of Thamarassery - 2003
17. 800 sq.ft. painting executed at Sir Vishwesharayya Hall, 1.I.T.Chennai - 2003 18. Curated art works and executed paintings of ' Way of the Cross' at 'Bible Tower', Thrissur - 2003
19. Selected for International Artists Camp by Shrishti Art Gallery, Hyderabad - 2004
20. Series of paintings 'Decoding Da Vinci' - 2004.
21. Selected by 'The Week' Magazine to paint the portrait of Mrs. Indira Gandhi - 2004
22. Sculpture titled 'Holy Family' completed at Jubilee Mission Medical College, Thrissur - 2001
23. Selected by 'India Today' Group to paint the portrait of H.E. Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, the President of India, for their 50th Anniversary special issue Of Readers' Digest Magazine - 2005.
24. The Painting 'Decoding da Vinci was selected by `Swarnrekha' Exhibition Of National and Triennale Awardees, Lalitkala Akademi, New Delhi 2004-2005
25. 700 Sqft painting of 'Mother Teresa' executed at Jubilee Mission Medical College, Thrissur - 2006
26. Kerala Catholic Bishops' Conference - State Media Award - 2006.
27. Vocational Excellence Award, Rotary Club of Calicut Beach -2006.
28. Dubai Police General Head Quarters selected 12 paintings of the series 'Tribute to the Heritage and Essence of the United Arab Emirates' for table calendar - 2006.
29. Sculpture executed at 'Mariyam Threasia Memorial', at Holy Family Convent, Kuzhikkattussery, Thrissur- 2006.
30. Silver Jubilee Award from Arch Diocese of Thrissur - 2007
31. 'Varna Jyoti Puraskaram' by Karnataka Sangeeta Akademi, Calicut - 2008.
32. 'Call of Mother' - Sculpture executed at Jubilee Mission Medical College, Thrissur - 2009.
33. Certificate of Appreciation by Calicut Management Association (CMA) 2010 34. Nominated to participate in All India Artist's Camp by Central Board of Direct Taxes, New Delhi - 2011.
35. Selected to participate in National Work Shop at Nainital by Central Revenue Sports Board, New Delhi - 2012.
36. Kathakali based on 'Decoding da Vinci', titled 'Da Vinci Porul' written by Smt. Radha Madhavan - 2013.
37. Sathsang Thrissur Award hum RI Rev. Dr. Francis Alapatt - 2013.
38.. Vocational Excellence Award by Rotary Club of Calicut Cyber City - 2014.
39. Certificate of Merit from National Academy of Customs, Central Excise and Narcotics, Faridabad - 2015.
40. Award in connection with 40th anniversary of 'Avanavan Kadamba' from Kavalam Samskruthi, Thiruvananthapurani 2015
41. 65th Anniversary Award of ‘Mary Vijayam Magazine’ Thrissur - 2015.
42. Invited for Venice Biennale, Italy, 2015.
43. Painting 'Application for the patent of a paper boat' selected for Xth Florence Biennale, Italy - 2015.
SOLO EXHIBITIONS AT:
1. Japanese International Cultural Cu operation Agency (JICCA), Japan- 1995
2. International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Parma Italy- 1995
3. New Haven City Art Gallery, U.S.A - 1996
4. University- de - joseph Fourier, Leh Hughes, Paris, France- 1997
5 River Dale Art Gallery, U,K 1991
6. Newman Centre University of New Orleans, U.S.A 1999
7. Kerala Lalithakala Akadami Gallery, Kozhikode and Thrissur - 1993 and 1997
8. Jehangir Art Gallery , Mumbai 2001 ,2004, 2009
9. 'Sky Scapes' Exhibition of paintings done on board in flight Indian Airlines, at Hotel Kalpaka Calicut. - 2001
10. Alliance Francaise. Bangalore By Bangalore School of Music - 2002
11. Hongkong and Shanghai Bank (HSBC), Cochin -2004
12. Standard and Chartered Bank at Taj Malabar, Cochin - 2004
13. Lakshana Museum of Art, Chennai -2005
14. Tribute to Raja Ravi Varma, Kilimanoor Palace 2005, Shrishti Gallery, Calicut and Hyderabad 2006
15. St. Joseph's College, Devagiri and Providence Women's College, Calicut -2005, 2006
16. Decoding da Vinci- Exhibition at Taj Malabar, Cochin- 2005
17 'Ganesh' - series of paintings at Roshan Patel Art Gallery, Nagpur - 2007.
18. 'World Without War' Exhibition of paintings travelled from India to Argentina -2007-2009
19. 'Veezhatha Poovu' Exhibition on Mahakavi Kumaran Ashan's ‘Veena Poovu' at Shrishti Gallery, Calicut, Public Library Thrissur and Jubilee Mission Medical College Thrissur - 2008.
20. 'World Without War' Paintings on Khadi - Exhibitions at Srishti Gallery Calicut, Jahangir Art Gallery, Mumbai and Andes Mountain, Argentina - 2008-2009.
21. Soorya Festival, Thiruvananthapuram -2010.
22. 'Colours Of Chemistry' Lalitha Kala Akademi, Thrissur, Srishti Art Gallery, Calicut - 2009, 2010
23. Exhibition of paintings at Taj Vivanta organised by Calicut Management Association - 2011
24. Exhibition of paintings at Sirifort Auditorium, Delhi in connection with UN Anti drug day Celebration - 2012
25. Curated Kozhikode - Koilandy Kunale along with Sri. R. Mohan, Poet at Calicut - 2012
26. 'Tibetan Dreams' - Exhibition of Paintings inaugurated by HH Dalai Lama at Holiday Inn, Kochi - 2013.
27. Exhibition of paintings at Kerala Lalithakala Akademi Gallery, Durbar Hall, Cochin - 2014
28. Exhibition of paintings at National Academy of Customs, Central Excise and Narcotics in connection with 'Customs Day' Celebration at Faridabad - 2015
29. Exhibition of paintings at Bharath Bhavan, Bhopal and at Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode (IIMK) based on dramas of Padmabhushan Kavalam Narayana Panicker - 2014, 2015
30. Exhibition of paintings at Jenneys' Residency, Coimbatore - 2015
31. Khadi Paintings Exhibition at Shakespere Theatre, Stansford, England, based on theatre studies of Sri. Kavalam Narayana Panicker - 2015.
32. Painting done at 'Manaveeyam Veedhi', Thiruvanandapuram on the occasion of 40th anniversary of 'Avanavan Kadamba' by Sri. Kavalam Narayana Panicker - 2015.
PAINTINGS DONATED FOR CHARITABLE PURPOSES:
1 Malayala Manorama Lathur Earthquake Relief Fund-1993 (21 paintings)
2. Mathrubhumi Orissa Cyclone Relief Fund 1996-97(17 paintings)
3. Madura Aravind Eye Hospital- Lions Club International, Kozhikode. IOL,Eye Camp for poor patients (4 paintings)
4. Madras Medical Mission Hospital- Malayala Manorama Heart Camp for poor patients - 2000 (56 paintings)
5. For Rehabilitating Spinal injury patients by 'Aspire Calicut -1999 (1 painting) 6. Downs Syndrome Trust- Rotary Club, Kozhikode (12 paintings)
7. Indian Red Cross Society, Bangalore and Cochin - for the best blood donor (2 paintings)
PAINTINGS IN THE COLLECTION OF:
1. Mother Teresa, Kolkotta
2. H.H. Dalai Lama, Tibet
3. H.H. Pope John Paul II,Vatican Rome .
4. H.H. Matha Amruthanandamayi Mutt, Kollam.
5. Ms. Medha Patkar, Baroda
6. Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai
7. H.E. Cardinal George Alenchery, Kochi
8. Malayala Manorama, Kottayam
9. Mathrubhumi, Kozhikode
10. Sri. Chandrashekhar, former Prime Minister of India.
11. Padmabhushan Kavalam Narayana Panicker,Thiruvananthapuram§.
12. Sri. Somanath Chatterjee, Hon’ble Speaker, Lok Sabha, New Dielhi
13. Sri. E. Sreedliaran, Delhi Metro
14. Sri. Sashi Tharoor, Hon’ble Member of Parliament, Delhi.
15. Padmasree Dr. K. M. Cherlyan, M.idras Medical Mission Hospital, Chennai
16. Sri. Chris Gopalakrishan, Infosis, Bangalore.
17. Prof. Devashish Chatterjee, Director, Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode.
18. Padmabhushan Prof. R. C, Mehta, M. S University Baroda.
19. Sri. Kochouseph Chittilappilly, CEO, V Guard, Kochi.
20. Padmashree Sri. S.R. Janakiraman, University of Madras.
21. MRF Tyres, Chennai
22. Sri. P.V. Abdul Wahab, Hon’ble Member of Parliament, Nilambur.
23. Padmabhushan A R. Rahman, Music Director, Channai.
24. Bharat Petroleum Corporation, Chennai
25. National Airport Authority, Calicut Airport - International Terminal.
26. Amruthanjan Ltd, Chennai
27. Friends of Kuwait, Kuwait
28. New Indian School, Behrain
29. Lalitha Kala Akademi, Thrissur
30. Bharat Mohanlal, Kochi
31. Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai
32. Integrated Finance Ltd., Chennai
33. Bangalore School of Music, Bangalore
34. High court Advocates Association, Ernakulam
35. Kerala State Tourism Development Corporation, Thiruvananthapuram
36. National Academy of Customs, Central Excise and Narcotics, Faridabad.
37. Customs and Central Excise Head Quarters, Calicut.
38. Dr. John Joseph, Calicut.
39. Sri. Shyam Sreenivasan, CEO, Federal Bank Ltd. Aluva.
40. Dr. Azad Moopan, CEO, MIMS, Calicut.
41. Dr. Alexander, CEO, Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut.
42. Sri. Balakrishna Marar, CEO, TBS Publishers, Calicut.
43. Dr. K.N. Raghavan,Cochin.
44. Sri. K.M. Chandrashekhar, IAS, Planning Board, Kerala.
45. Sri. M.P. Ahammed, CEO, Malabar Gold, Calicut.
46. Sri. Rameshan, CEO, Uralungal Society, Vatakara.
47. Dr. K.P. Hussain, Director, Fathima Hospitals, UAE.
48. Sri. Jose Dominic, CEO, CGH Earth and Casino Group of Hotels, Cochin.
49. Mr. Q, Quiz Master, Cochin.
50. Adv. Anil Raj, Cochin.
51. Sri. Jacob Thomas, Kottayam.
52. Sri. U.K. Kumaran, Writer, Calicut.
53. Sri. P.K. Parakkadavu, Editor, Madhyamam, Calicut.
54. Sri. M.P. Ramachandran, CEO, Jyothi Laboratories, Mumbai.
55. Sri. PNC Menon, CEO, Shobha Developers, Bangalore.
56. Sri. P.K. Ahammed, CEO, P.K. Steels, Calicut.
57. Prof. P.C. Thomas, Entrance Guru, Thrissur.
58. Sri. Roshan Kynadi, Calicut.
59. Prof. Varghese Kodankandath, St.Thomas' College, Thrissur.
60. Sri. Prince Jose, Chennai.
61. Around 136 other private collections in India and abroad.
1. Rewarded 146 times for seizures of narcotics, smuggled gold and electronic goods totally valued at Rs.365.6 crores.
2. Awarded Commendation Certificate 8 times for excellent seizures of narcotics, smuggled gold and electronic goods.
3. Best Turn out Award on Republic Day 2006 - Office of the Commissioner Customs and Central Excise, Calicut.